Dust flux, Vostok ice core

Dust flux, Vostok ice core
Two dimensional phase space reconstruction of dust flux from the Vostok core over the period 186-4 ka using the time derivative method. Dust flux on the x-axis, rate of change is on the y-axis. From Gipp (2001).

Monday, April 27, 2015

Down the mountain

After an exhausting climb to the "summit" at Xiaogoubei, the "climb" down was easy.



They strap a canvas sack around your waist and you slide down a stone chute.


If you pick your feet up you get moving surprisingly fast. There are no banked curves, only distinct angles, so each bend gives you a nice jolt if you are moving quickly enough. Unfortunately I soon caught up to the people ahead of me, and had to slam on the brakes.




At the end it flattens out and there is some sort of beat-up cushion that prevents you from braining yourself on the retaining wall. I had to go slow on the last part because the couple ahead of me were so slow, but I did see some people flip end-over-end when they reached the end of the track. I had to wait awhile for the ladies in the top picture to rejoin me at the bottom.

No comments:

Post a Comment